About the Contest
10th Annual “Pause for a Cause” video contest is a platform for students to express their creativity and give voice to the devastating impact tobacco has on the environment.
Click here to enter!
Rules and Regulations
- The video must demonstrate the relationship between tobacco and its effects on the environment.
- Entries must NOT contain any foul language, cruelty to humans or animals, and nudity.
- Typical broadcasting rules apply. All work must be original.
- As a participant in the Pause for a Cause program, you agree to uphold the goals and mission of the Center for Student Wellness and Health Promotion.
- Incorporate the following tagline slate at the end of the video:
*Disclaimer: If participants plan to film on campus they should consult with Student Services in the Student Center. This is to ensure if any UCI affiliation gets caught on tape to have permission from the school.
A panel of judges representing the UCI Center for Student Wellness & Health Promotion, START, CYAN (California Youth Advocacy Network), and OCTEC (Orange County Tobacco Education Coalition) will score all “Pause for a Cause” video submissions on the following criteria:
- Accurately demonstrates the impact of tobacco on the environment
- Accurately demonstrates health consequences of tobacco use
- Complements the mission and goals of the UCI Center for Student Wellness & Health Promotion
- Meets rules and regulations as stated below
- Overall relays a positive message
- Overall creative; demonstrate originality
*Winner will be announced on May 31st.
Participate in the Annual Pause for a Cause “YouTube” Video Competition
- Student contestants create a 60-120 second YouTube video demonstrating the impact of tobacco on the environment
THREE WAYS TO WIN:
Video selected by a panel of UCI staff and student critics (based on a distinct set of judging criteria) wins $300.
Video with the most votes (1st place) wins $175 and runner up (2nd place) wins $75.
- April 19 (Week 3) – COMPLETE INTENT TO REGISTER
- April 26 (Week 4) – “10 for 10”: Cigarette Butt Pick Up Day
- May 10 (Week 5) – “10 FOR 10” Winners Announcement
- May 21 (Week 7) – Video submissions due
- May 22-31 (Week 8-9) – Voting Period
- May 31 (Week 9) – World Tobacco Day
- Voting closes at 8am
- Pause for a Cause Winners Announcement
Select videos will be featured on the UCI Student Wellness & Health Promotion, Orange County Tobacco Education Coalition (OCTEC), and California Youth Advocacy Network (CYAN) websites.
Check out some video entries from previous competitions:
Voting will begin May 24! Stay tuned for link to vote…